Thursday, August 30, 2012

MMMM! Homemade Cinnamon Rolls! YUM!

So I was perusing through my countless cookbook for new ideas and was going through Southern Living 40 years of the best recipes and found a Cinnamon Rolls recipe that does not involve refrigerated dough, which is the only recipes I could find for the longest time. This is totally from scratch. YAY!

Well not only are they OHHHH so yummy they are also very easy! DOUBLE YAY!  I made these on Tuesday with full intent on bringing them to precepts class but alas as is everything from scratch with yeast, they had to rest for 40 min before being cooked.

Since it's taken me so long to find such a good recipe I thought I would share it with all of you.

Cinnamon Rolls - Makes 2 dozen

Yummy cinnamon rolls, there was another pan but they got eaten quick. Note: I left the oven on when I left, and they rose for almost 3 hours....I took them out with still 4 min left so hopefully the next batch won't be as "dark"


1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup butter

3 1/2-4 cups all purpose flour (I used white whole wheat flour)
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 (1/4 oz) envelope rapid rise yeast
2 large eggs

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
2 tsp cinnamon

For icing
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
3 1/2-4 Tbsp milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

1. Combine water, 1/2 cup milk, and 1/3 cup butter in a saucepan over medium heat; cook until butter almost melts, stirring occasionally. Cool to 125-130 degrees.

2. Combine 2 cups flour and next 3 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Gradually add warm milk mixture to flour, beating at low speed of a heavy- duty electric mixer. add eggs and beat 3 min at medium speed.

3. Gradually add 1 1/2 cups flour beating 2 min. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.

4. Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead 5 min or until smooth and elastic. Cover and let rest 10 min. Divide dough in half. Working with half of the dough at a time and keeping other half covered, roll each half into 12 in square.

5. Combine 1 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup butter, and cinnamon (I used a pastry blender for this part) Spread evenly over both squares of dough. Roll up dough, jelly roll fashion, starting at long end; pinch seams to seal (I did not pinch the seams...opps)

6. Cut each roll into 1-inch slices. Place rolls, cut side down, in 2 lightly greased 9 in square pans (I only have one so I put the rest in two glass pie pans)

7. Cover and let rise in a warm place free from drafts, 40 min or until doubled in size. Bake at 375 degrees for 18 minutes or until golden brown ( if you can smell them they are most likely finished)

8. combine powdered sugar, 3/12 to 4 Tbsp of milk, and vanilla; drizzle glaze over warm rolls. (I did not do this as I did not have any powdered sugar)

NOTE: Baked cinnamon rolls can be frozen without glaze for up to 3 months. Thaw in refrigerator overnight and bake in foil at 375 for 10 min.


Hope you enjoy them as much as my family did!

No comments:

Post a Comment