Monday, September 5, 2011

ASL was right again!! Than again she usually is...


Oh what a weekend! First I got sick, then Lil Dude, then the hubs! Thanks God LK didn’t get sick! {I say that’s all because she is still breastfed, thank god for that!} Well since we were sick and felt like crap I wanted an easy sunday dinner so I made chicken, rice and veggie soup. First I took a frozen organic free range chicken and set the over for 350. I seasoned and put the frozen chicken in a pampered chef stone wear Dutch oven and cooked it for an hr at 350; after that I put the oven on 400. Chicken was done in about 3 hrs. After that I took the juices from the ducth oven and put it in another dutch over for the stove top added sliced carrots, celery, onions and potatoes in the juices. While the veggies where cooking I cut up the chicken; I took the breast, legs and wings and put those in the fridge for chicken salad; picked the rest of the meet off the chicken carcass and put that in the soup, was just the perfect amount of chicken but if you’d like more you could always cut up the breast and add it. To that I added 3 ½ cups of water {since I was out of stock} and ¾ cup of rice brought it to a boil and then put the lid on and let it simmer for about 20-30 min. What a delicious wonderful dinner, especially after the horrible night & day of “tummy troubles”.
Well after that was all said and done {hubs let me get a nap while the chicken was cooking so I felt 50% better} I decided not to let the chicken carcass go to waste and I started chicken stock. Now ASL {amazing or awesome sister in law} tells me constantly how easy it is to make and how good it is for you but I never take the time to make it and always buy it {she pointed out other day that all boxed stocks are is colored water, look at the ingredients, its true!! Says it right there, they don’t even hide it!} So I decided to make chicken stock, I used the Nourishing Traditions {NT} recipe {I highly recommend this cook book to EVERYONE! Its 15 bucks; BUY IT!!!}  It was so easy, I just added the ingredients and set it on the back of the stove and cook it for 24 hrs.  Now that it’s done, I called the ASL to ask her a few questions and we got to talking about stock and I told her how I was gonna freeze it, she suggested I do what she does which is take 1 quart freeze bag and put 2 cups in it and freeze it. I don’t think I can stress enough how freaking easy it is and so much better for you than anything you’d buy in the store!  So happy I took the time to make it!
I always save and freeze my scrap veggies because I know I wanted to make stock so it’s just something I’ve gotten in the habit of it, and with it being so much easier the second time around I’m gonna ride this train and make beef and vegetable stock tomorrow. I got a freezer full of soup bones and veggie scraps no point in letting them go to waste.
Till Next time :~)

No comments:

Post a Comment