Saturday, August 13, 2011

Thank God for KitchenAid Mixers!

So since my ASL showed me how freaking easy it is to make bread, with a KitchenAid mixer,  I have been making our own bread, I absolutely love it; I don’t see myself going back to store bought. The whole reason I started to make my own bread was because of Lil Karen dairy allergy. Since she was about one month old I cut out dairy from my diet because it was making her sick. Since I cut dairy she has been doing wonderfully, no more epic throw ups!! Yay! So finding bread that didn’t have dairy was necessary hard there are about 3 brand names that don’t use milk but nevertheless it was a pain. And since it was so easy and I'm a huge supporter of home made everything :)  here is her recipe. Enjoy!!
My first ever attempt at bread making :) not bad!

3 ¼ hours | 30 min prep
Serves 24, 2 Loaves
2 ¾ Cups hot water
1/3 cup olive oil, any oil is fine, I use coconut oil a lot
1 tablespoon salt, sea salt is best
7 ½ cups of 100% whole grain wheat flour
2 tablespoons dry active yeast

1.       Place first four ingredients in bowl and mix.
2.       Add 2 cups of flour (to cool the water so you end up with warm dough)
3.       Add 2 tbs of dry active yeast
4.       Add 4 cups of flour
5.       Mix until consistency is somewhat even. Then continue to slowly add flour ½ cup at a time till dough quits sticking to the bowl. It should be tacky to the touch. The trick is to have enough consistency to stand up with the least amount of flour; this makes it fluffy. It will mostly likely take about 6 ½ cups but never the less do not exceed 7 ½ cups. Do not over mix, this will make the bread tough.
6.       When dough is finished leave in mixer and cover with a towel and let it rise for 30-40 min. Dough will be larger but doesn’t need to double.
7.       Grease two   bread pans; I use coconut oil for that too.
8.       Mix the dough to knock it back down close to its original size
9.       Drop the dough onto a floured surface so you can work and shape the dough. Shape dough intp a ball getting enough flour so its no longer sticky.
10.   Divide dough in half and shape into 2 loaves. Shape loaves but turning the dough under its self over and over again, this gives you a oblong shaped loaf with smooth sides and top.
11.   Drop the loaves in bread pans and let them rise until they are almost doubled. Bake in preheated oven at 350 for 36 minutes.
12.   When finished turn the bread out of the pans onto a cooling rack.  


You can eat right away. I LOVE warm fresh bread! Wait until bread is completely cool before wrapping. I usually store mine in a gallon size zip lock bag. Do not store in the fridge it will turn your bread into a brick. Another thing I have done is make one loaf and use the other half of the dough for pepperoni rolls; dinner rolls, ect so let your imagination move you!

No comments:

Post a Comment